The Office of Global Marketing is moving into the role of being one of the chief content creators for Northwestern University on an enterprise level. As the Office grows in scope and scale of work, the members need to be able to produce pieces of work telling the university story quickly and nimbly across a number of different platforms, especially digital. The Digital Designer will be pivotal in a hands-on capacity, both developing storytelling ideas and executing the ideas. The Digital Designer will work with the Director of Creative Production and Digital Strategy Director to oversee their completion, and in creating and managing the artistic vision of the Northwestern brand and global marketing.
- Works closely with Digital Writer and Director of Creative Production to develop creative
- concepts and executions of assignments (e.g. illustrations, infographics, and data visualizations) for enterprise-wide initiatives as well as projects for university constituents
- Create visual mockups, both low-fi and hi-fi, with or without wireframes
- Apply brand systems, typography, color, and other elements appropriately to create innovative digital solutions for brand storytelling
- Translate design concepts to front-end developers; understand translation of design concepts into CMS (i.e. Cascade)
- Create new website modules as needed
- Select and hone the stories best fit to the Northwestern brand for further production and development
- Continuously develop and refine Northwestern visual brand guidelines and their execution across the university
- Develop strategy for deploying pillars of Northwestern brand through innovative platforms
- Other duties as assigned by Producer, Digital Strategist, or creative director
- Advise university marketers on technical visual recommendations and/or issues
- Assist in presenting creative work to university groups
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in graphic design, art, web design, digital media, communications, marketing or related field; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years prior work experience in digital design with emphasis in marketing and communications.
- Design portfolio with outstanding conceptual and visual design examples.
- Solid knowledge of applicable programs: Adobe Creative Suite, esp. Photoshop and Illustrator, Microsoft Suite, esp. Powerpoint.
- Digital design skills with UI/UX experience a plus.
- Team oriented.
- Strong ability to present creative work.
- Clear and professional communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, particularly in Macintosh.
- Well-developed communication skills including ability to articulate creative concepts.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of current trends, techniques and mechanics, including photography, illustration, typography and printing.
- A thorough enough understanding of design, UI, and front-end development to know which designs are possible to develop and which ones might be stretching technical limits.
- Nimble worker who is able to think strategically and add value to a growing office in startup mode.
- Ability to develop simple and elegant design approaches to complex design problems.
- Creative. Excited. Passionate about the storytelling opportunities of higher education.
- Master’s degree in one of the creative arts, Digital Media, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in digital design with emphasis in marketing and communications.
- Previous experience in higher education or nonprofit marketing.
- Experience working in a CMS, preferably Cascade.
- Basic knowledge of prototyping in code (HTML/CSS/JS) preferred
- Skill and experience working across all media: print, digital, graphics, social media, out of home, transit, etc.
- Print design experience and abilities.
- Experience working for creative agencies in a digital capacity.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.