Be a part of Brown Universityâ??s growing visual storytelling team. Contribute to the transformation of how the University engages and builds relationships within our community and shares Brownâ??s excellent reputation with the broader world.
Brownâ??s Office of University Communications (OUC) has created a new position for a senior visual designer and strategist who will work in consultation with University staff to create attractive, user-centric, innovative designs for integrated, multi-platform use across Brownâ??s Web, digital and print media. The Senior Visual Designer will collaborate with content strategists, the creative team and product managers to meet the needs of campus clients in developing communications that are aligned with the overall visual identity and strategic goals of the University.
Reporting to the Director of Web and Digital Communications Strategy, the Senior Visual Designer will advise on Web and digital UX/UI, IA, photography, graphic elements, colors, type treatment, and production across related media. The Senior Visual Designer will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of Brown and communicate in a professional manner with University stakeholders, audiences and partners at all levels and across disciplines. The Senior Visual Designer will provide excellent creative service, representing the OUC as a leader and resource in advanced design and communications for the University.
The ideal candidate will bring extensive expertise in design fundamentals to conceive the overall concept, design, look, and feel of each project across all related media, consistent with desired project impact, messaging and user experience. The candidate will also have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, demonstrate initiative, flexibility, a collaborative nature and accepting of constructive feedback, as well as the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality product and services. The Senior Visual Designer will be a conceptual thinker who not only creates visual solutions, but also is a collaborator who can explain those concepts and solutions.
A digital and print portfolio demonstrating professional experience is a prerequisite for the position.
- Bachelorâ??s in visual design, digital arts or a related field (equivalent professional experience will be considered).
- A minimum of seven years of design experience, including a minimum of three years of advanced Web and digital design for complex, dynamic digital projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated expertise in design fundamentals and ability to create strong visual design and concepts executed across multiple digital and related platforms.
- Demonstrated knowledge of usability and user experience (UX/UI) principles and standards.
- Demonstrated expertise with visual identity and branding.
- An understanding of Web and digital strategies to improve communications.
- High proficiency and experience with Apple OS, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to contribute ideas and execute the ideas of others competently; ability to work autonomously and as a team.
- Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, and to communicate in a professional manner to all levels of leadership across disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, showing initiative and flexibility, strong creative service, collaborative instincts, and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality.
- Demonstrate proven aesthetic judgment, with excellent visual design and strong conceptual abilities.
- Knowledge of Web standards, technologies and languages and accessibility/508 compliance.
- Knowledge of related technologies, such as digital asset and content management tools, workflow systems, portals, and databases.
- Knowledge of applicable intellectual property, image permissions, copyright and trademark requirements.
- Demonstrated professional experience through a digital and print portfolio that must be available for review.
Background check - Criminal
Recruiting Start Date:2017-01-06-08:00
Job Posting Title:Senior Visual Designer
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.