The Graphics Department is looking to hire a Graphic Designer to join their team. This is a regular full time position eligible for benefits.
[Mission statement: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is the largest private, non-profit oceanographic institution in the world, dedicated to research and education to advance understanding of the ocean and its interaction with the Earth system, and to communicating this understanding for the benefit of society.]
This Graphic Designer will become a member of the WHOI Graphic Services team consisting of multitalented individuals whose primary purpose is to produce stimulating and comprehensive visual explanations that clearly communicate WHOI’s exciting scientific efforts. We are seeking a graphic designer who has strong technical illustration skills to round out the team. The environment is professional, engaging, and artistically inviting, with a genuine camaraderie among the staff. This position is full time and eligible for benefits.
With minimal supervision, this individual will energetically collaborate on projects with a science writer/editor, other members of the team, or directly with clients from across all scientific disciplines at the institution. This designer will develop storyboards and utilize a versatile skill set to design, create, and package a wide array of multimedia to communicate complex scientific efforts. These end products will be created using all/some of the following platforms: illustration, animated graphics, graphic design, image editing, and video. This team member will also accomplish traditional graphic arts shop work such as framing and sign production. All of this work can be intense, often time sensitive, and always interesting.
- Maximum design sense and a fresh perspecti
- A distinctive knack for visual storytelling, utilizing the contemporary skillset necessary to produce excellent multimedia for a variety of use
- Technical illustration experience in scientific and engineering disciplines a plus.
- Technical expertise with industry software such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, as well as familiarity with Cinema 4
- Excellent people skills in order to work with a Communications team and WHOI scie
- Ability to manage multiple projects with tight and shifting deadline
- Intellectual curiosity about new discoveries in ocean science and engineering, and the desi to dive into these complex subjects deep enough to be able to convey their importance.
Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design preferred with two years of experience in commercial art production and design. Should be tech savvy, familiar with the Mac/Adobe environment, as well as traditional graphic arts tools and equipment.
Physical duties for this position are mostly sedentary in nature. The visual abilities to include: depth perception, peripheral vision, ability to distinguish basic colors. Hearing requirements include ability to listen and talk. Working around and with others as well as working alone is required. Physical duties are subject to change.
WHOI is a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). We are sensitive to the issues of dual career candidates and we will work with applicants to address them. Please visit HERC - for more information.
WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply. Applications are reviewed confidentially. Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.