General Descriptionfull-time position with the Office of External Affairs; 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday
The Office of External Affairs includes Development, Communications and Marketing, and Finance and Administration. The award-winning Communications and Marketing team provides strategic communications, external and internal communications, and marketing services for the School across a variety of digital and print platforms. This includes brand and identity management, digital strategies and web services, editorial and content strategies, visual communication, media and public relations, social media and integrated marketing campaigns. As the #1 school of public health in the country and the oldest independent degree-granting school of public health in the world, the Bloomberg School conducts lifesaving research in more than 130 countries and has more than 2,200 students from all over the world. The School celebrated its Centennial year in 2016 and is currently in the University's Rising to the Challenge Campaign. The School is an exciting place to expand your career with unparalleled opportunities for creative, important work at the highest levels.
The Associate Director is a key member of the Communications and Marketing team within the Office of External Affairs at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Serve as content lead for major communications initiatives across print and digital media that advance the Bloomberg School. Lead planning and development of regular articles for the School's website, assigning writers and working closely with them to create content that reaches the highest editorial standards. Lead the writing, editing and production of other content for key communications and marketing initiatives as needed. Supervise a senior writer and a web writer, including responsibility for staff development, recruitment, retention and performance reviews and assessment. Serve as managing editor for School's award-winning magazine Hopkins Bloomberg Public Health. Deliver three issues per year, planning and setting editorial schedules, assigning articles to staff and freelance writers, and editing copy. Provide editing support three days per week for Global Health NOW, a news website and daily email serving the global health community. Work in close collaboration with the team's graphic designers, videographers, web designers, marketing and content/editorial staff members to enhance external communications and internal reporting. Report to the Content and Editorial Director and work closely with other directors and managers within Communications and Marketing and throughout the Office of External Affairs.
- Directly manage writing and editing support for the School's website and print publications.
- Lead content development of major communications, marketing and development projects, as well as, strategic events and symposia at the School. Directly supervise senior writer and the web writer, including development, recruitment, retention and performance reviews and assessments, as well as, hire/fire and related responsibilities.
- Serve as managing editor for Hopkins Bloomberg Public Health magazine; deliver 3 issues of the magazine per year on time; proactively develop story ideas; assign and work with writers including freelancers; edit articles; coordinate with design and production staff and write articles as needed; manage magazine budget and vendor relationships.
- Supervise development of strategy and maintenance of Dean's Corner webpage and other key content components of the Dean's communications strategy.
- Provide direction and guidance for website content and projects.
- Manage content for the School's website, including scheduling, tracking deadlines and assigning and editing articles; assist in creation of videos; lead content development as required.
- Manage content-related work of freelance writers and editors.
- Manage and edit multiple editorial projects/articles simultaneously.
- Consult and advise on content approaches in marketing and advertising materials produced by the Communications and Development teams and more than 45 communications associates throughout the Bloomberg School.
- Edit Global Health NOW e-newsletter three mornings per week; provide backup support in creation of e-newsletter on MailChimp and updating of GHN website.
- Oversee the final review and edit of print and digital Communications and Marketing projects.
- Provide content leadership or assistance on multimedia projects and scripts as needed.
- Work in an integrated manner across Communications and Marketing team, External Affairs and with internal clients.
Perform other duties as required.
** Please attach a portfolio**