Information Technology Services at West Virginia University is seeking a Technical Writer (Professional Technologist 1). Working under the direction of the Knowledge Manager and TeamDynamics Application Administrator, this position has three main areas of responsibility: create and maintain documentation in the ITS knowledge management system; create and maintain services in the ITS service catalog; and provide assistance to and serve as the backup for the Application Administrator.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Coordinate and collaborate with content owners across ITS and in non-central IT units to ensure information is current, accurate and comprehensive.
- Provide final editing and stylistic review of submitted content while adhering to approved style guides.
- Review and address knowledge base feedback.
- Work closely with the system administrator and service owners to ensure the accuracy of descriptive content in service catalog items.
- Build, test and/or implement service catalog request forms and workflows; update and implement form changes, as requested.
- Serve as administrator back-up.
- Manage user accounts.
- Help maintain a test environment for processes before the implementation into production.
- Serve as a point of contact for all non-ITS units with independent ticketing applications.
- Serve as a point of contact for vendor support.
ITS has about 230 employees with diverse backgrounds, personalities and experience. We make sure the networks, data centers, Internet and phones are robust and reliable. We support dozens of applications that are critical to the University's administrative functions and academic mission. We protect the confidentiality and integrity of data. We talk to our customers regularly about our services and initiatives, and we welcome and respond to suggestions.
We want employees with a positive attitude, an eagerness to collaborate, initiative and imagination. We want creative thinkers who can find clever solutions to problems and improve our efficiency. We want people who embrace WVU's many missions, from empowering faculty and students to improving the quality of life for West Virginians.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in technical writing and application administration is preferred
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills, including the ability to translate highly technical information and directions for non-technical audiences
- Functional understanding of application administration and knowledge management
- Complex problem solving ability, including the ability to identify the root cause of confusion or error and to develop solutions
- Excellent organizational skills and follow-through on assignments and projects
- Given the potential for exposure to sensitive WVU Data, dependability and discretion are paramount
First consideration will be given to those who apply by March 31, 2017.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Mar 15, 2017
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes