Be an important part of Brown Universityâ??s growing visual storytelling team. Help transform how the University engages with our community and shares Brownâ??s excellent reputation with the world.
Brownâ??s Office of University Communications (OUC) seeks an Art Director who will lead the creative team in producing attractive, user-centric, innovative designs for integrated, multi-platform use across Brownâ??s Web, digital and print media.
The Art Director will be responsible for developing a creative, vibrant and unified look and feel for the Universityâ??s print and digital publications, identity products and other related materials, as well as for maintaining and reinforcing consistency for the Universityâ??s graphic identity and branding.
Reporting to the Director of Graphic Services, the Art Director will manage the team of designers in the Office of University Communications. The Art Director will collaborate with content strategists, the creative team and production managers to meet the needs of campus clients in developing communications that are aligned with the overall visual identity and strategic goals of the University, while ensuring that quality standards, industry requirements, and client deadlines are met.
The Art Director will serve as the lead designer and strategist with a high level of expertise and experience across a variety of media, and manage a portfolio of assigned personal projects for enterprise level clients and endeavors. The Art Director will supervise the design teamâ??s direction and selection of photography, graphic elements, colors, type treatment, and production across related media. The Art Director will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of Brown and communicate in a professional manner with University stakeholders, audiences and partners at all levels and across disciplines. The Art Director will lead the design team to provide excellent creative direction and service, representing the OUC as a leader and resource in advanced design and communications for the University.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing and directing creative teams and projects, along with extensive expertise in design fundamentals and design concept management across all related media, consistent with desired project impact, messaging and user experience. The candidate will also have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, demonstrate initiative, flexibility. The candidate will demonstrate a collaborative nature and the ability to give and accept constructive feedback, as well as the capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality product and services. The Art Director will be a conceptual thinker who not only creates visual solutions, but also is a collaborator who can explain those concepts and solutions.
A digital and print portfolio demonstrating professional experience with design concepts and execution is a prerequisite for the position. A completed application through the Brown University website is required. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
- Bachelorâ??s in visual design, digital arts or a related field (equivalent professional experience will be considered).
- A minimum of ten years of design experience, including a minimum of three years of Web and digital design.
- At least three to five years of experience managing a design team to develop creative, vibrant and unified print and digital publications, identity products and other related materials. (Managerial experience may be concurrent with design experience.)
- Demonstrated expertise in design fundamentals and proven aesthetic judgment, with the ability to create strong visual design and concepts executed across multiple digital and related platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise with visual identity and branding.
- High proficiency and experience with Apple OS, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office Suite.
- An understanding of Web and digital strategies to improve communications, usability and user experience (UX/UI) principles and standards.
- Ability to contribute ideas and execute the ideas of others competently; ability to work autonomously and as a team.
- Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, and to communicate in a professional manner to all levels of leadership across disciplines.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, showing initiative and flexibility, strong creative service, collaborative instincts, and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality.
- Knowledge of related technologies, such as collaborative workflow systems, digital asset and content management tools, and client relations tools.
- Knowledge of Web standards, technologies and languages and accessibility/508 compliance.
- Knowledge of applicable intellectual property, image permissions, copyright and trademark requirements.
- Some off-campus travel, as needed.
- Demonstrated professional experience through a digital and print portfolio that must be available for review.
Background check - Criminal
Recruiting Start Date:2017-03-17-07:00
Job Posting Title:Art Director
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.