Description:User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) Designer / Developer contributes to software development for the BrainGate Neural Interface System and supports the neurotechnology research endeavor in the laboratory of Leigh R. Hochberg, M.D., Ph.D. This research will define the future of brain-implantable neural interface technology to improve communication and independence for people with severe motor disabilities. This is a 1-year full-time, fixed term, position embedded on site with our team in the School of Engineering at Brown University in Providence, RI.
The incumbent's job grade will be determined by years of experience. The UI/UX Designer Developer (JG 10E) requires a bachelor's degree and 3-5 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience; the UI/UX Designer Developer (JG 11E) requires a bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of related experience.
- GRADE 10: Bachelorâ??s Degree with 3-5 years of experience required in Web or Graphic Design or related (visual design) field.
- GRADE 11: Bachelorâ??s Degree with 5-7 years of experience required in Web or Graphic Design or related (visual design) field.
- Demonstrated experience and portfolio in UI/UX design and execution (process) across a variety of platforms.
- Demonstrated understanding of UI/UX best practices and emerging trends.
- Proficiency with industry-standard and new creative tools / technologies for UI/UX and web design
- Implementation experience with real-time browser-based graphing techniques for low-latency, high-rate drawing / updating in HTML / JS charting or similar
- Expert proficiency with responsive design for web applications
- Experience leading or working in rapid, iterative UI/UX development in small, highly independent agile teams
- Proficiency with code versioning and collaborative development tools
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
The selected candidate's experience level will determine the hiring grade.
- Masterâ??s desirable in Web or Graphic Design or related (visual design) field.
- Experience programming in one or more game engines / environments such as JS, Phaser, Lua3D, Matter.js or Unity3D
- Proficiency in C/C++, Python, Go, high performance libraries, and/or other supporting back-end languages
- Experience with UPD, TCP/IP, USB or other data flow / communication mechanisms
- Experience developing UI/UX for medical device or health care applications
- Experience designing Web UIs for accessibility
- Experience creating GUIs that enable both interactive and programmatic /(scripted) execution
- Experience in both industry and research settings
- Proficiency with Matlab or Simulink
- Demonstrated interest in neuroscience, brain-computer interfaces and/or assistive technologies for people with disability
- Familiarity with neuroscience and electrical brain signals (action potentials, local field potentials)
- Experience enabling remote access/support solutions
- Working knowledge of digital signals, digital sampling, bandpass filters
- Programming experience with high-performance UDP packet communication
Background Check: Criminal and Education verification
Recruiting Start Date:2017-03-20-07:00
Job Posting Title:UI/UX Designer Developer
Department:School of Engineering
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.