A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI) is the nation's leading university-based institute of over 480 health services researchers evaluating how health care works and how it can be improved, and advising policy makers to inform change. IHPI researchers consistently produce leading research in the world that is published in top tier academic journals and featured in mainstream media outlets such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Forbes. This position will have a profound impact on developing the brand of IHPI as a national and worldwide leader in healthcare policy and research.
IHPI seeks a motivated and experienced web developer to support advancement of IHPI's mission to improve the quality, safety, equity and affordability of healthcare. The successful candidate will be skilled in integrating various web development techniques and utilizing a variety of approaches to help our team convey complex, scientific research in a concise and straightforward format to lay audiences, particularly media and policymakers. The web developer will be tasked to continue to develop the IHPI website and other related sites (e.g.; National Poll on Healthy Aging and individual IHPI-affiliated centers and programs) using Drupal and related content management system applications. The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated and adaptable to learning and understanding new technologies, be able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and have the ability to work both independently and in a team, producing quality work products with attention to detail. You will bridge the gap between graphic design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how applications and sites look as well as how they work.
- Responsible for development, support, and administration of web-based Content Management System (CMS) applications, utilizing Drupal and other web-based technologies and applications
- Responsible for managing local development application environment(s)
- Design, develop, code, test, debug, document and install programs
- Administer, manage, and maintain web server(s) and application services
- Develop programs in languages, tools and databases such as Java, Java Script, SQL Server, and others
- Understand business, technical, and program requirements
- Work closely with clients, subject matter experts and project team in the maintenance of and development of database driven websites
- Contribute to front-end development such as theming and Drupal configuration
- Analyze and troubleshoot software issues
- Develop and support marketing and communication systems
- Coordinate outside programmers/vendors/partners as necessary
- Prepare web analytics and related reports
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field: Computer Science, Engineering or IT related discipline
- Understanding of Web development practices, the software development life cycle, and development in accordance with industry best practices and W3C standards
- Experience developing Drupal themes and custom layouts
- Translating visual designs and wireframes into completed interface components while adhering to design specifications
- At least 3 years of experience in building and maintaining complex websites
- Strong understanding of web technologies, and related development tools
- Strong understanding of web standards, cross-browser, and responsive design for mobile devices
- Experience developing HTML email templates
- Experience with administration of web hosting environments
- Experience with web analytics
- Experience creating dynamic, database driven web-pages with scripting languages
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Proven ability to work independently and manage several tasks concurrently
- Demonstrated ability to work in team environments
- Database programming experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing rich web interfaces for desktop and mobile applications
Monday - Friday
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.