When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Reporting to the Director of Software Development, the Technical Publications Manager manages staff in the preparation, production, and release of customer and project documentation and Help systems for LSMS. The Technical Publications staff of technical writers, a technical editor, and a graphic designer supports two local hardware development teams, five local software development teams, and six remote software development teams. The Technical Publications Manager also manages one translation team in China.
- Select, develop, and evaluate staff to ensure the efficient operation of the department
- Facilitate technological advances such as researching the best tools for particular tasks and using multimedia to communicate information, such as animation and 3-D graphics
- Direct the activities of the Technical Publications staff and work toward balancing assignments
- Define and maintain publications processes and guidelines, with input from the Technical Publications staff
- Ensure publication standards are maintained and that deadlines are met
- Maintain the FrameMaker templates for over a dozen sites and in three different page sizes. This requires communicating with the sites and coordinating agreement for any changes as well as ensuring that the templates receive approval from Corporate Branding
- Ensure the writers, editor, and graphic designer have the tools and equipment they need to do their jobs as efficiently as possible
- Ensure that all deliverables and the processes that produce them can pass appropriate audits
- Work with cross-functional managers to gain consistent implementation of manuals and Help in software products
- Manage translation of documentation. This includes managing the relationship with the translation vendor; managing the Chinese translators, their workload, and assignments; and helping to set translation standards for both in-house and vendor translations
- Using single-sourced files, write and revise four versions of the Orientation Guide for Technical Publications, Software Development, Hardware Development, and Product Evaluation. Write and revise the Developing Documentation Guide. Write and revise the FrameMaker portion of the Documentation Tools Guide
- Other duties as assigned