The UI/UX Designer is responsible for designing and prototyping cutting-edge interactive experiences and data visualizations, as well as enhancing the design and usability of the HMX learning platform. Under the direction of the Director of Creative Media and working with other members of the HMS online learning team, the UI/UX Designer will work to communicate complex medical and scientific concepts to multiple audiences by designing and refining highly engaging interactive digital animations, simulations, and innovative assessments, while also working to enhance the design of our learning platform and other content interfaces.
The UI/UX Designer shall have an opportunity to make a difference in shaping a unique educational experience. The ideal candidate should feel comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and be energized by working closely with world-class faculty and a small team of visual media and technology experts. Curiosity, creativity, and initiative are a must, along with strong interpersonal skills, a love of learning, and a taste for problem-solving and tackling challenges in effective interactive visual communication.
HMX description HMX is an educational initiative at Harvard Medical School dedicated to creating fully online courses on foundational topics in medicine. These courses are led by Harvard Medical School faculty, working in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of experts in biomedical visualization, assessment, and the science of learning. The instruction is based on principles derived from educational research to improve learning and retention, and relies on best practices in scientific visualization.
Job duties - Collaborate with faculty including the Director of Creative Media, the Faculty Director, and the team to conceptualize, wireframe, design, and prototype the user interface and user experience for interactive diagrams for learning - Develop concept models, wireframes, visual design, and finished design assets for the HMX learning platform UI/UX and create user flow and site flow documents.
- Apply strong creative problem-solving skills to translate complex concepts or data visualizations into user-centric, elegant, intuitive interactive design solutions that engage and educate - Design user interfaces and visualizations for exploration and presentation of data working with the data team - Ensure that all designs are built to be cross-platform and responsive for mobile, tablet and desktop, and consider modular designs for scalability
- Design, create, and edit vector graphics in tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Xd, or Sketch; must have deep familiarity with the workflow for web or mobile using vector assets for resolution independence - Apply knowledge of graphic design, typography, color theory, and layout toward effective digital designs. - Collaborate on projects using a variety of computer software including Google Docs and Dropbox as well as tools for effectively interacting with the team surrounding visual assets.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Bachelor's degree and 5 or more years designing user interfaces and user experiences for high-quality interactive web apps and/or visuals, including formats for online and mobile device delivery, demonstrated by a portfolio of successful work.
Experience may be considered in lieu of the education requirement.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding UX/UI skills along with a strong understanding of HTML5 that s/he uses to build innovative and creative rich media. This includes experience with and without frameworks.
- Bachelor's of Computer Science or related discipline, a degree in Human Machine Interface Design, or in Interactive Media Design or Biomedical Visualization preferred, with experience in relevant online UI/UX design with an emphasis on interactivity/animation/motion design.
- A user-centric mentality and a passion for building products with great user interaction are desired.
- Experience developing visual material for learning and experience working with faculty is a plus.
- Experience creating online learning materials and knowledge of adult learning theory is a plus.
- A curiosity for delving into and understanding medical topics as needed for developing effective visual communication solutions is desired, and a background in the sciences is preferred.
- Must be highly organized, intensely detail-oriented, flexible, and able to manage time well to handle multiple projects in the pipeline.
- Demonstration of awards for past interactive design is a plus.
- Familiarity with WordPress theming, Amazon Web Services, and Git version control is a plus.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internal Number: 46416BR
About Harvard University Medical School
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.