We are currently seeking a Senior Technical Communications Writer to join our team.
The Senior Technical Communications Writer provides advanced writing and editing services to various stakeholder groups for the development and management of policies, guidelines and procedures. Drawing on experience with federally regulated financial institutions, this role consults with executives, senior leaders and subject matter experts to compose, write, maintain and clarify policies and procedures in areas such as credit, finance, treasury, risk and corporate governance. The incumbent has a demonstrated track record of logical and critical thinking, with superior organizational skills and project management and planning competencies
Here’s what would be included as a part of your typical day
1. Creation: Works collaboratively with internal stakeholders to write, edit and publish policies, procedures and guidelines for the credit union. Creates content suitable and accessible for a wide array of audiences. Incorporates the “voice” and “spirit” of First West in all communication through consistent and coherent tone, feel and look.
2. Content Management: Develops, manages and applies a technical writing style guide for the credit union. Works with subject matter experts and user groups to promote clarity of concepts and improve use and adoption. Ensures technical communication meets regulatory requirements, while creating content that is concise and clear. Conducts interviews and research with internal and external subject matter experts to develop thorough understanding of subject, product or issue in order to develop audience appropriate communication.
3. Communication Distribution: Leverages communication channels to ensure effective distribution of content. Evaluates policy and procedure adoption. Recommends and incorporates improvements. Identifies opportunities for enhanced media (video, animations, graphics, learning tools, etc.) to improve technical communication.
4. Revision & Enhancement: Works with internal stakeholder groups to manage records of work (version control) for technical communication. Works with end users to identify any gaps in documentation and to find opportunities for improvement.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Communications, English required
• Master’s Degree, MBA, MA preferred
• Other Certifications, Designations or Licenses Related to technical writing preferred
• 5-7 years of technical writing experience
• 5-7 years of project management experience
• Must have experience writing for federally regulated Canadian financial institutions
• Advanced writing and editing skills, and familiarity using the Chicago Manual of Style and technical writing style guides
• Advanced manuals and SharePoint development skills
• Superior project management and planning skills
• Exceptional written and oral communicator and strategic thinker
• Strong collaborator and team contributor
• Positive, solution-focused approach to new challenges
• Highly developed business acumen and confidence in dealing with senior leaders
Why work for us?
We offer a total rewards package that recognizes the meaningful work you do to support our members and our communities, which includes:
• A competitive base salary plus performance-based incentive compensation
• Annual merit pay increases
• Flexible benefits as well as support for retirement benefits
• Vacation time, a flexible “Day4U” and the option to purchase up to five additional vacation days
• Other financial perks such as our Employee Banking Advantages which includes waived or reduced financial service fees, reduced rates on personal loans, mortgages and no-interest loans on lifestyle-related items that promote health, wellness, learning and business aptitude
In addition, you can enjoy socially conscious perks, like three paid days off every year, to volunteer for causes you care about.
What’s your place in the First West story? Apply now and let’s find out together!
First West regrets that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Diversity & Inclusion:
First West Credit Union is committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to create an inclusive, accessible environment for our candidates and employees that reflects the communities in which operate. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment or interview process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other types of accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Telecommuting is allowed.
About First West Credit Union
As one of Canada’s leading credit unions, we deliver on this promise by providing personalized advice, exceptional day-to-day banking products and an ongoing commitment to innovative technology through four locally known and trusted divisions: Envision Financial, Valley First, Island Savings and Enderby & District Financial.